Prepare for Your Senior Photoshoot with Fifth and Chestnut Photo Co.
By now, you’ve probably heard me say that your high school senior portrait EXPERIENCE is an investment. Not only is it a financial investment for your parents, but it’s also an investment of your time. To help you spend your time more efficiently, I’m providing a comprehensive list of tips to help you prepare for your senior photoshoot with me!
Before we book our shoot together (about 3-6 months in advance), you’ll have thought about the following things already:
What season your want your shoot to take place (keeping yearbook deadlines in mind).
How many outfits you want to be photographed in.
How long your photoshoot will last to accommodate your wardrobe changes.
So now you need to do the rest of your senior photoshoot prep!
6-8 Weeks Before Your Senior Photoshoot:
- Decide on the vibe/feel of your session overall. Think about the styles you like (ex: femnine, edgy, casual, elegant etc).
- Assemble your outfit inspiration (hello, Pinterest) & begin to shop.
- Decide if you want to bring props to your senior photoshoot.
- Begin a teeth whitening regimen if desired.
- If you wear glasses – I HIGHLY recommend getting contacts if you don’t already, even if it’s JUST for this senior photoshoot. If you feel like you look “weird” without your glasses, consider purchasing your frames (or similar ones) without lenses. Lenses of any sort = glare. Transition lenses = sunglasses. Please don’t wear transition lenses for your shoot!
1 Week Before Your Senior Photoshoot:
- Make sure to drink lots of water! It helps clear your skin and moisturizes your lips.
- Liberally apply chapstick throughout the week – especially if you are on specific acne medications.
- Launder, IRON and hang your outfits.
- Gather your accessories in bags and hang them up with their corresponding outfits. I also recommend keeping your shoes in a bag with your outfit so you don’t forget them!
- Get lots of rest (reduces puffy eyes, of course).
1-2 Days Before Your Senior Photoshoot:
- Gals: Prep your hair & skin as our hair and makeup artists have instructed you to do. Guys & Gals: Avoid harsh cleansers/treatments.
- Gals: Get your nails done (pampering time!), or paint your nails yourself (I recommend clear polish at minimum). Guys: trim and groom your nails!
- Eat healthy, nutrient-rich meals so your skin is in tip-top shape. Avoid greasy foods and starchy carbs (to reduce bloating).
- Gather and clean props (dust your musical instruments, give your doggie a bath, wash your car).
- Sleep well the night before your session. Try meditation if you haven’t been sleeping well in general. I recommend the Calm app!
THE BIG DAY:
- Give yourself lots of time to get ready.
- Make sure you groom your eyebrows/facial hair long before your hair & makeup session starts.
- Eat! Again, make sure the foods you eat this day are nutritious, but filling. Bring water & a snack to your senior photoshoot.
- Bring flip flops/slippers/”walking shoes” to walk from spot to spot if your fashionable photoshoot shoes are uncomfy.
- Bring your bag of makeup with your for any necessary touchups – especially lip color & gloss!
- Be happy! It’s time to have some FUN!
Leave a Reply